If you’ve lived in your home for years and the thought never crossed your mind to replace your appliances, it probably means you’re about due for an upgrade.
Whether it’s the refrigerator, dishwasher, stove or something else here are a few tips on when it’s time to let go of these appliances.
- The lifespan of a refrigerator is about 10-12 years. There are usually glaring signs when a replacement is necessary so pay attention. Excessive condensation, excessive heat in the back of the refrigerator motor, are indicators that you need to replace.
- The lifespan of a dishwasher is 10-13 years. strange noises, overheating, overcooling, leaking, or giving up a funny smell are issues that reveal it’s time for a repair or replacement.
- Washers and dryers have a lifespan of 10 years. When the washer is leaking don’t ignore that problem. Excessive noise is also a sign that the appliance is starting to wear.
- Microwaves have a 10-12 year lifespan. Although these are not essential appliances many people have them in their homes. If your microwave is in cooking correctly and omits smoke, sparks, or burning smell it’s definitely time for a replacement.
- The stove and oven have a lifespan of 10 to 15 years. No chances can be taken with anything that can catch fire. For gas stoves, if the flame isn’t blue and flickers from yellow to red it just might need cleaning. But if it’s clean and those are notable signs, you need to replace it. If the buttons are malfunctioning or if your electric stove has a crack in the tempered glass it’s not safe to cook on.