Grading is an indication of how level your yard is. Every homeowner’s yard is graded differently. Grading is essential because it will determine how floods and stormwater flow in your yard. Positive grading is what you are always wanting to see in your yard. Positive grading will direct water away from your home.
Here are some observations to tell whether you have positive or negative grading:
- Wait until after heavy rain and then go out to look at your gutters and downspouts.
- If the water is flowing away from your home you’re in good shape.
- If the water is flowing towards your home or collecting near your home you need this to be corrected.
- You can change the water flow in your yard by putting in a new flower bed or a walkway.
- Move soil towards your house and don’t cover your siding be sure to use topsoil around the foundation.
- After you put new topsoil around the foundation check the grading the next time it rains to make sure there is enough to direct water away from the home.
Following these observations will ensure proper grading is evident around your home follow these few observations to ensure proper grading is evident around your home.